At what time should I take probiotics?
Most of the OptiBac Probiotics are best taken with a meal, and ideally with, or just before your breakfast.
An important factor in a high quality probiotic is its ability to survive through gastric acidity. If a probiotic has not been tested to survive gastric acidity and biliary salts then it may not reach the intestines which is where it needs to settle in order to exert its beneficial effects on the body. The strains in the OptiBac Probiotics range were developed to survive gastric acidity above (ie. more neutral than) pH 3. In-vitro trials on our probiotic strains show a 95 - 100% survival rate through gastric acidity at this pH level. Research from microbiologists shows that at mealtimes (and especially breakfast time) the stomach’s gastric acidity is naturally at pH 4 or above.
This is why we recommend taking the majority of our probiotics with your breakfast; this is when the probiotics will have the best survival rate through the body's gastric acidity.
Other factors to consider:
- If you are also taking antibiotics, certain probiotics are best taken separately. Read our FAQ about antibiotics here.
- Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic should not be taken at the same time as anti-fungal medicines. Otherwise it is a robust strain which need not necessarily be taken with breakfast; any time should do for this one!
- Bifidobacteria & fibre (For maintaining regularity) may result initially in gas and/or bloating (due to the prebiotics), therefore some customers might prefer to take this at night rather than in the morning.
- Probiotics should not be taken directly with a hot drink. (read about probiotics & coffee.)
- For those who are unable to swallow capsules, the contents of the capsules can be sprinkled onto cold beverages or foods.
- Probiotics should not interfere with other medicines or herbal / natural remedies.
- It is advised to drink plenty of water whilst taking a course of probiotics.
If you found this information useful, please consider sharing or linking to it. Many thanks!
Photo credit: Maciej Miller; model: Hannah from sales